Broad Ripple History
search menu
Pictures, Stories, Maps, and more
Brought to you by Broad Ripple Publishing

Broad Ripple High School
Opened in 1882 as the township school.
Many major additions to the building over the 136 year life. The school was closed in 2018.

The original 1882 school
1115 Broad Ripple Avenue Ave
Eight-room grade and high school combination
built in 1882 and rebuilt in 1896
Currently: office for small staff of IPS workers
click images for larger photos

BRHS 1882
BRHS original entrance
BRHS original building

Original school bell from 1883
(Still located at BRHS)

Original BRHS school bell

Modern Years at BRHS

BRHS building built in 1913
The oldest unit of the present school
from 1949 Riparian
BRHS building built in 1913
Two stories were completed on the west wing in 1935
The third story completed in 1939
from 1945 Riparian
Two stories were completed on the west wing in 1935
Groundbreaking for a new addition was December 15, 1947
from 1949 Riparian
Groundbreaking for a new addition was December 15, 1947

from 1949 Riparian
BRHS 1949
Sundial
from 1962 Riparian
BRHS sundial

Deiderich Memorial
from 1962 Riparian
Deiderich Memorial
Gym
from 1963 Riparian
BRHS gym
Carnival in gymnasium
from 1967 Riparian
BRHS carnival in gym