B R H S joins city
The 1896 Broad Ripple graduating class was one of the largest in Broad Ripple's younger days.
Early in 1896 the school burned down, and during the period when it was being rebuilt, the pupils had to attend classes at various buildings throughout the Broad Ripple area.
** information not in booklet
NAMES FROM RIPARIAN: - 1896 Graduation class
Back row ( left to right ) James Moore, John Dawson, J. Edw Morris, C. E. Rhoades, Ralph Easterday, George Deford, Jacob Dawson, Isaac Moore, Robert Kerr.
Third Row ( left to right ) Mable Kimberlin Dowell, Ollie Johnson Shackleford, Jessie Llewellyn Dawson, Nettie Allen Ryan, Mable Heady, Jessie Rodman, Stella Richardson Dawson, Isa Hill Morris.
Second row ( left to right ) Catherine Kerr, Mary Easterday Hessong, Bessie Spahr Doll, Margaret Brady Todd, Myrtle Edwards, Adna Kerr( Groff)
First row ( left to right ) Fred Neal, R. E. Harris teachers.
In 1903, several Broad Ripple High School boys decided to form a football team.
From that time on, football has been an important sport at Ripple.
The 1909 team poses here with its coach Ross Smith, center back.
Ripple advanced from a "Little Red Brick Schoolhouse" in the 1880's to one of the best-equipped schools in the state in 1914.
Then in 1923, Ripple joined Arsenal Technical, Emmerich Manual, and Shortridge as an Indianapolis public high school.
Until 1926 the Ripple building not only housed the high school but also the grade school.
In 1929, School No. 80 was built at the corner of 62nd Street and Guilford.
Between 1902 and 1907, three principals headed the combined grade and high school.
These men were Arthur Jackson, Paul Coughlin, and Sam Plaskett.
In 1904, eight students graduated in what, at that time, was considered a large class.
In 1907, Horace W. Marshall became principal.
During his term as principal, he and Albert Newby, the township trustee, were able to get a new building erected in 1914
At the time of its dedication, the new building was one of the best-equipped in the state.
The gymnasium and auditorium were of the newest design.
Following modern theater trends, the auditorium was constructed with a sloping floor, a balcony, and theater-type seats, having a capacity of 150 persons.
Rollo Wiggins replaced Marshall as principal that year.
With the outbreak of World War I, many high school boys went into the armed services.
In June 1918, Wiggins himself went into the services and was succeeded by 0. H. Blossom as principal, who in turn was succeeded by J. W. Gillespie in 1920. Gillespie was principal until 1923 when Ripple became an Indianapolis public high school.
Broad Ripple became the fourth Indianapolis public high school as a result of the annexation of Broad Ripple Village to Indianapolis in the fall of 1923.
At this time, Karl Von Ammerman was transferred to Broad Ripple from Manual High School to assume the duties of principal.
In 1928, an addition was made to the high school with the purchase of the cottage owned by Ham and Sadie Thompson.
The cottage was first used for regular classrooms for English, math, and history.
The cottage was then furnished for use by the Home Economics Department.
The adjoining land was utilized as an athletic field.
During the early 1900's, Broad Ripple began to develop an athletic program.
Football started at Ripple in 1903 when a group of boys decided to get together and form a team.
The first basketball team, coached by Ross Smith, was formed in 1909 and was the first organized school squad in Marion County.
The first baseball team was also formed around this time.
During the winter of 1912, the basketball games were played in the Broad Ripple skating rink because there was as yet no gymnasium.
The low rafters of the rink served as obstacles, handicapping opposing teams. In the same year, Broad Ripple won the Marion County Basketball Tournament.
Mr. Karl VonAmmerman
became principal of Broad Ripple High School in 1923, soon after the school became a part of Indianapolis.
Mr. Ammerman served until 1959, when he was succeeded by Mr. J. Fred Murphy.
Broad Ripple High School, built in 1914
On the right is the 1914 building which was torn down in the summer of 1967 to make way for Ripple's current building program.
On the left is the original school building, constructed in 1883, rebuilt in 1896, and torn down in 1947.
In 1928, two portable buildings, known as the Annex, were added to Broad Ripple High School to make compensation for the pupil overload in the school.
Shown here is one of the "portables" located on the east and south sides of the main building.
Cover and Forward
1878 Surveyor's Record of Broad Ripple
Chapter One - Coil Starts Settlement
Chapter Two - Ripple Linked To City
Chapter Three - Canal Creates Rivalry
Chapter Four - Villages Start Schools
Chapter Five - Religious Life Grows
Chapter Six - Social Life Develops
Chapter Seven - Canal Villages Thrive
Chapter Eight - Trolleys Aid Travel
Chapter Nine - Farmer Shakes Jail
Chapter Ten - Floods Ravage Town
Chapter Eleven - Park Attracts Visitors
Chapter Twelve - BRHS Joins City (current page)
Chapter Twelve - Errata
Chapter Thirteen - City Annexes Village